© Cirencester Archaeological & Historical Society & Contributors 2016-7 Registered Charity no. 287289
Cirencester Archaeological & Historical Society

Publications

One of the aims of the society is to publish information concerning the past of Cirencester and its environs. This has been achieved by publishing Newsletters containing short articles and, recently, short reports on talks held during the year (these latter now online). Longer studies have been published as the Miscellany series. All publications to up to last year have been lodged with the Gloucestershire Archives. They can be found by quoting reference D10989, and are open for research at the Archives. All publications can be found using the tabs above. We do have a small stock of back numbers of both Newsletters and Miscellany. If we have what you want, back issues of Newsletters are £3 each and of Miscellany are £5 from our editor. The Society is keen to have assistance for future publications. If you feel up to editing or even researching new material, our Editor will be pleased to hear from you. If you have an article suitable for publication about some aspect of local history we may be able to help. Contact our editor
The Old House Gloucester Street Newsletter 54
The Old House Gloucester Street Newsletter 54

Gloucestershire History

Between 1987 and 2011 in an annual series totalling 25 issues, Gloucestershire History published the work of local historians from around the county, and from those further afield working on local studies. Produced and funded by the Local History Committee of the county-wide Gloucestershire Rural Community Council, this journal offered a home for material which might not have access to a more local outlet, or was too long for inclusion. Some Cirencester-related material was published here, and via the good work of volunteers especially Ray Wilson to put the whole corpus on line, can now be studied in detail and at leisure. The link is  http://www.gloshistory.org.uk/publications.php A useful checklist is followed on the Publications page by direct links to individual issues and their contents, set up to allow direct access to individual articles. Here are some which have direct relevance in or around Cirencester:  o The Bisley Path by Christopher Cox, in No 5, 1991, pp.2-5, a study of the old road network which ran from Cecily Hill through Cirencester Park on its route north and west of the town. o An Old Cirencester Chapel by Fred James, in No 11, 1997 pp.2-9, which recorded the former Presbyterian/Unitarian chapel in Gosditch Street before its closure and later conversion to the Parish Centre which has given it a new lease of life. Dr James described it as ‘probably the oldest nonconformist place of worship in Cirencester in its most original 17th century form’. o The Story of Trinity Mill, Bagendon by Joyce Barker edited by Richard Whorlow, in No 12, 1998, pp.2-7, which is a summary of the detailed long- term study which Joyce, a much-respected member of our Society for many years, undertook on her family home. The full record is deposited in Glos Archives. o Noble Gifts: the legacy of Daniel George Bingham (1830-1913) to ‘my old native town’ of Cirencester by David & Linda Viner, in No 23, 2009, pp. 12-23, which describes the considerable philanthropy to the benefit of the town’s cultural life, which is still very evident today in the Bingham Library, Bingham Hall and the celebratory Bingham Gallery. o ‘A moth-eaten rag’: Regimental Colours in Cirencester Parish Church by David Viner, in No 25, 2011, pp.18-28 which describes the group of Colours now preserved in Cirencester Parish Church, the best-preserved of which remain on display.   David Viner Editor CAHS
Page last updated 31 July 2017
The opening ceremonyof the Bingham Library held in Cirencester Marketplace 21 Sept 1905. W. Dennis Moss postcard
© CAHS & contributors 2016-7 Registered Charity 287289
Cirencester Archaeological  & Historical Society

Gloucestershire History

Between 1987 and 2011 in an annual series totalling 25 issues, Gloucestershire History  published the work of local historians from around the county, and from those further afield working on local studies. Produced and funded by the Local History Committee of the county-wide Gloucestershire Rural Community Council, this journal offered a home for material which might not have access to a more local outlet, or was too long for inclusion. Some Cirencester-related material was published here, and via the good work of volunteers especially Ray Wilson to put the whole corpus on line, can now be studied in detail and at leisure. The link is  http://www.gloshistory.org.uk/publications.p hp A useful checklist is followed on the Publications page by direct links to individual issues and their contents, set up to allow direct access to individual articles. Here are some which have direct relevance in or around Cirencester:  o The Bisley Path by Christopher Cox, in No 5, 1991, pp.2-5, a study of the old road network which ran from Cecily Hill through Cirencester Park on its route north and west of the town. o An Old Cirencester Chapel by Fred James, in No 11, 1997 pp.2-9, which recorded the former Presbyterian/Unitarian chapel in Gosditch Street before its closure and later conversion to the Parish Centre which has given it a new lease of life. Dr James described it as ‘probably the oldest nonconformist place of worship in Cirencester in its most original 17th century form’. o The Story of Trinity Mill, Bagendon by Joyce Barker edited by Richard Whorlow, in No 12, 1998, pp.2-7, which is a summary of the detailed long-term study which Joyce, a much-respected member of our Society for many years, undertook on her family home. The full record is deposited in Glos Archives. o Noble Gifts: the legacy of Daniel George Bingham (1830-1913) to ‘my old native town’ of Cirencester by David & Linda Viner, in No 23, 2009, pp. 12-23, which describes the considerable philanthropy to the benefit of the town’s cultural life, which is still very evident today in the Bingham Library, Bingham Hall and the celebratory Bingham Gallery. o ‘A moth-eaten rag’: Regimental Colours in Cirencester Parish Church by David Viner, in No 25, 2011, pp.18-28 which describes the group of Colours now preserved in Cirencester Parish Church, the best-preserved of which remain on display.   David Viner Editor CAHS
The opening ceremonyof the Bingham Library held in Cirencester Marketplace 21 Sept 1905. W. Dennis Moss postcard